Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Multiplication: Those Difficult 9 Times Problems

It seems to me that every time I turn around, someone is telling me how hard it is for their child to remember the 9 times tables. I thought I would share a little trick my dad taught me.


There is an easy formula to remember the 9 times tables. Here it is:

The first number in the answer is 1 less than the multiple. The second number in the answer is 10 - the multiple.



If you have your child practice this, first with the subtraction problems on paper, then with the subtraction problems in their head, they will quickly master the 9 times tables.

1 comment:

  1. Those 9 multiplication facts were always hard for my fifth grade students until we learned the one up, one down rule. One up on the first number, we down on the second number (of the answer.)

    ReplyDelete