Sunday, March 8, 2009

Pi Day

March 14th, or 3-14, is Pi Day. Pi is the ratio of any circle's circumference to its diameter. This number, which is an irrational number, is typically written as 3.14. So, March 14th is a mathematical celebration of a very famous number.

There are many activities you can do with your students to celebrate Pi Day. Math Forum has several problems available. March 14th is also Albert Einstein's birthday. Surely, celebrating Pi Day is a great way to celebrate Albert Einstein.

Enchanted Learning has a couple worksheets dealing with pi. I strongly suggest the book Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi by Cindy Neuschwander and Wayne Geehan. The entire series of Sir Cumference books is wonderful, and this is a great opportunity to introduce them to your students.

Enjoy Pi Day! If you have any ideas, please share them with me, and I'll add them to my post, or link to yours!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! I am looking forward to pi day this year again and these are some great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the ideas!

    By the way, I've given you an award! So, please stop by my blog when you get a chance.

    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a pi day filled with alot of fun and learning and included Einstein in the mix too. I tried to get the Sit Cumference book but my library doesn't carry any of them. Big bummer. Thatnks for the links...I am going to put them on my list for next year!

    ReplyDelete