Friday, May 1, 2009

Percy Jackson Series by Rick Riordan

My sister gave the first Percy Jackson book to my 11 year old son for his birthday. The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan is a great book. It's all about Greek gods, and their half human offspring, in present day. I will say that some parents may not like these books because they introduce the concept of illegitimacy and adultery. However, if your children have had any exposure to the Greek/Roman gods, they have already been exposed to this. These books are written about the present day. They are excellent books that my entire family enjoys.

For a good review and ideas on lessons to go along with these books, please visit my sister's blog:Percy Jackson and the Olympians.

The reason I am bringing these books up now, is that the last book in the series is getting ready to be released on May 5th.

Tonight, I found a neat "celebration kit" on Rick Riordan's website. It has quizzes, crosswords, art, and more. I highly recommend these books. Other than the adultery issue, there is not anything questionable that I could see in them. They do not have any sexual references or bad language.

No comments:

Post a Comment